Monday, February 4, 2008

An Chúilfhionn {The Coolin} + Snowy Breasted Pearl





An Chuilfhionn - The Coolin. An Chúilfhionn {The Coolin} The Fair Haired One

An bhfaca tú an chúilfhionn 's í ag siúl ar na bóithre
Maidin gheal drúchta 's gan smúit ar a bróga?
Is iomaí ógánach súilghlass ag tnúth lena pósadh
Ach ní bhfaigheann siad mo rúnsa
.....ar an gcuntas is dóigh leo.



An bhfaca tú an speirbhean si na sui ris an taobh
Fáinní óir ar a méara sí ag réiteach a cinn?
'Sé dúirt an Phaorach a bhí ina mhaor ar an loing
Go mb'fhearr leis aige féin í ná Éire gan roinn





Snowy Breasted Pearl. John McCormack

Oh she is not like the rose that proud in beauty glows
And boasteth that she's so wondrous fair
But she's like the violet blue, ever modest, ever true
From her leafy bower perfuming the still night air
Oh, she's gentle, loving, mild, she's artless as a child
Her clustering tresses softly flowing down
I'll love thee ever more, sweet colleen Oge as-thore
My true love, My Snowy Breasted Pearl.

If I sigh, a sudden fear comes o'er her and a tear
Stands quivering within her downcast eye
When I smile those orbs of azure gleam forth with love and pleasure
Like sudden glory bursting through a clouded sky
If I claim her for my bride she trembles at my side
And gently lifts her eyes with looks so tender
I love the, only thee, my colleen Oge Machree
My true love, my snowy breasted pearl.

Such was she, but oh! A change, how mournful and how strange
On my loved one, my own beloved one came
Paler still her cheer grew and her eyes azure hue
Seemed lighted with a flame, a fatal, wasting flame
Oh! We laid her in the grave, where the willows sadly wave
And the hollow winds are sighing a plaintive wail
I'm alone, alone, alone; so wearily I moan
For my lost love, my snowy breasted pearl


This was the song that began McCormack`s career, he won the Tenor section in the Dublin Feis in 1903.
This can rank along with the best of John McCormack`s great repertoire of songs.
Like many Irish songs it has much imagery.

No comments: